Business Director - Insurance
The role will be responsible for underwriting all risk codes within the Fine Art & Specie account, employing methods necessary to meet plan profitability, GWP and expense goals. Management and growth of the portfolio of business within appropriate underwriting discipline/guidelines. Marketing and servicing of existing and potential insured's.
- Reviews applications and financial requirements for risks requiring technical underwriting skills
- Determines acceptability of risk in accordance with company guidelines and standards
- Recommends appropriate pricing and coverage modifications or enhancements for risks after complete analysis and consideration of applicant documentation, business factors and competitive situations
- Prepares quotations and answers questions from Brokers, internal and external contacts and escalates issues as necessary
- Prepares written communications on adverse underwriting decisions, rate appeals, underwriting requirements, status and declination's. Verbally notifies Brokers of decisions where appropriate in order to ensure clear understanding of the decision
- Analyses quality, quantity, and profitability of risks underwritten and prepares reports for management review.
- May assist in marketing products and services through the brokerage community and makes field visits.
- Develops and maintains positive Broker relationships
- Keeps current on state/territory issues, regulations and trends
- Works with more senior underwriters or management on risks exceeding authority level or requiring special handling
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Prior experience of underwriting Fine Art & Specie
- Knowledge of the Fine Art & Specie market and products including major Jewellers Block, Cash in Transit, Fine Art, and General Specie business
- Developing technical expertise and negotiation skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to effectively interact with peer level internal and external business partners
- Ability to work independently
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to exercise independent judgement and make sound business decisions effectively